Friday 25 August 2023

Screening Screen Time

 

Screening Screen Time

Six years ago when my son was born, I didn’t know what a blessing in disguise my impending divorce would be. When you’re left with no money and an infant in tow, needs pretty much get stripped down to the basics. Food – check, diapers – check, clothes – check, toys – cross, smartphones, and tablets – cross. And so it came to be that my son spent the first few years of his life with very few toys and no gadgets in the house.

For 3 years there was no smartphone, no tablet. So instead we went out. A lot. Our days were spent in the park from the time that he was 6 months old; sometimes we even had our meals there. He played in the mud, discovered hidden insects, and collected rocks and leaves. Before he turned 4 he was riding a cycle without training wheels. And while he was doing all this he’d come home with a huge appetite. 

The lack of gadgetry let him explore his real world, it stimulated him in a way screen time never can. Would I have made the same choices if I had been able to afford it? I don’t know, but I’m so glad that I was too broke to indulge in smartphones and tablets. It gave my son an opportunity I see too many children losing out on today. When I hear people saying “kids are born with gadgets in their hands today” or “my child doesn’t eat without a screen” I wonder if parents know that the responsibility for that lies upon them.

Arhant first saw an iPad when he was nearly 3 and a half years old. He now has access to iPads, smartphones, and televisions. He loves playing games and watching videos. It also gives me a much-needed break from his incessant questions and ridiculous energy levels. But given a choice, he still chooses to go out to the park. 

We’ve developed rules around how often and for how long he can use these gadgets, and on most days he doesn’t fight them too much. The content he’s allowed to view is also heavily monitored and he now knows what’s allowed and what’s not. I also leverage technology to broaden Arhant’s worldview. Just as I read diverse books to him, I also show him videos depicting diversity, so that for him it is normal and natural. 

I know technology will be an intrinsic part of his life as he grows up, but for now, it’ll be a limited part of his childhood. 


No comments:

Post a Comment